I certainly want parents to feel some family love this week in honor of Valentine’s Day. Now that we’ve shared some parenting promises, it’s time for the kids to have their turn. The idea is that everyone in the family is communicating with each other. These 10 promises are adapted from my Family Digital agreement. They are great promises for kids who are still looking heavily to their parents for guidance when it comes to online and social media usage.
Because I Love My Family…
1. I will get permission before setting up any online accounts, including email accounts, social media accounts, and instant messaging accounts.
2. I will not respond to any messages that are mean spirited. It is not my fault if I get a message that is inappropriate; but, if I do, I will tell my parents or a responsible adult right away.
3. I will keep in mind that my technology use affects others and I will strive to use it wisely.
4. I will check first before downloading or installing software or doing anything that could possibly hurt our computer or jeopardize our family’s privacy.
5. I will be a good online citizen and not do anything that hurts other people or is against the law. This includes sending text or images containing sexually explicit, pornographic, or offensive material.
6. I will not search for illegal, crude, rude, crass, or inappropriate things.
7. I will not publish defamatory and/or knowingly false material about my friends or family on social networking sites, blogs, “wikis,” or any online publishing format.
8. I will not reveal any confidential information when posting online.
9. I will tell my parents or another responsible adult immediately if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.
10. I will not use the internet or social media to vent when I have a disagreement with a friend or family member. Instead, I will go to that person so that, together, we can work through our differences.
Want a free copy of this? Get it here!
Does your family have a Digital Media agreement? Get mine free when you sign up for my newsletter.
Did you miss the post yesterday? Read 10 Promises for Parents here!
Sign up for my newsletter and get Tech Talk Conversation Cards FREE!
As parents we know we need to talk to our kids about technology, social media, and online safety. But, many times we just need help getting started. Tech Talk Conversation Cards can help. You’ll find over 50 questions on technology, social media, cyber-bullying and sexting.