Did you know your Alexa and Google Home device can be use as a learning tool? That’s right! Join me as I talk to Irina Fine from Bamboo Learning. Irina shares some guidelines for selecting great Alexa skills for your kids. If you are wondering how to use Voice Technology for learning, you don’t want to miss this podcast episode! It’s packed full of great ideas and tips as Irina talks about how to naturally fold educational voice activated learning skills into your child’s day.
I have been using voice technology in my home and work life for quite some time. It has revolutionized the way I work and learn! I was intrigued about the idea of using voice technology for kids. So, I explored the Alexa Skills and Google Actions available that parents could use with their kids to inspire learning. In my research, I learned about Bamboo Learning. I fell in love with their approach and building educational voice applications. Irina Fine, from Bamboo Learning has so much to share with us today about using voice applications with our kids.
Inspired by this podcast? Check out my list of Alexa Skills for Learning and Google Home Skills for Education!
Irina Fine is a thirty-year veteran of curriculum development and teaching, having worked in public and private sector education in New York, Washington, DC, London, and Moscow.
Irina has been integral to multiple curriculum development projects in child literacy, music theory and performance, and linguistics, including a multi-year McGraw-Hill project linking assessment and instruction. She has extensive expertise in organizational and business strategy, having advised multiple clients in the field of technology as part of McKinsey & Company’s teams in London and New York.
Irina holds an undergraduate degree in Piano Performance and Music Education from the Arkhangelsk School of Music in Russia. She received her M.Ed. in Curriculum Development from the University of Massachusetts in Amherst and was part of a post-graduate program in Comparative Education at New York University.
Here are a few things Irina and I discussed some ways to Use Voice Technology for Learning
- What are some guidelines parents should use when it comes to selecting Alexa skills for their kids?
- How can parents use Alexa skills to fold in some additional learning into their child’s day?
- Can you explain verifiable parental consent to those parents who might be concerned about privacy issues.
- What is the next most exciting thing technology has that we will be able to adapt and use for education?
I hope Irina’s suggestions gave you some practical ideas and ways for your family to integrate voice technology your everyday routine . Be sure to check out the links and resources below for the show. And, connect with Irina over at Bamboo Learning or on any of her social media platforms.
Tech Talk for Parents Episode 2 Show Links and Resources
- Learn More About Bamboo Learning: https://bamboolearning.com/
- Sign up for Bamboo Grove and track your child’s learning progress!
- Follow Bamboo Learning on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Common Questions about Alexa Privacy
- Common Questions about Google Home Privacy
If you liked this episode be sure to leave a rating or review. Reviews and ratings let iTunes know I am not just yapping to myself. Not sure how? Not worries! Here are instructions for leaving a review for iTunes, Stitcher, Podbean, and Google Podcast.